Sunday, June 29, 2014

The past two weeks

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post but I really miss the blog.  So what have I been doing genealogy-wise for the past two weeks?

  • I entered into a new partnership with the National Institute for Genealogical Studies (NIGS).  I will tell you more about that in the next couple of days.
  • I turned in my last ProGen assignment.
  • I finished 3 1/2 out of 6 cases for the local version of the “Genealogy Roadshow.”
  • I worked on 3 different presentations that I have coming up.
  • I worked on a conflicting evidence case study.
  • I finished my last two client reports.  I only take on a very few private clients these days and now that these two reports are done I am not going to take on any more until at least after the first of the year because I have a lot of other things going on and something had to give.
  • I watched three webinars on DNA from the Association of Professional Genealogists.
  • I sent in four more DNA tests.
  • I did a major cleanup of my office area.
  • I went through all of my internet bookmarks looking for dead links and reorganized them.
  • A German researcher sent me a gedcom of the research she has done on the Gläntzer/Glaentzer family and I have been working with it.  I will be uploading it to FamilySearch’s Family Tree this week (with the creator’s permission).  This is a very uncommon surname in Germany and I hoping getting the research out will bring in some new leads for both of us.

Tomorrow I will post a few pictures from IGHR 2014 and then over the next few days I will be highlighting some of the things I learned (many of which I am already putting into practice) and I will also tell you what is going on with the NIGS.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

6 comments:

  1. And when did you SLEEP :) Guess I have some catching up to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I didn't have to sleep. I am more than willing to give that up. However, I am not willing to give up eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't burn that candle from both ends too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a type A personality with a little ADD and OCD thrown in. A very dangerous mix.

      Delete
  4. Do tell more about the "Genealogy Roadshow". I am going to take a nap after reading your post.

    I have a question about the FamilySearch upload you mentioned. Do you have your entire family tree uploaded, or just a branch? I have not contributed to any collaborative tree sites and was thinking of starting there. My biggest fear is finding the time to keep it current so I thought maybe I would experiment with just one of my branches. I am interested in any insight you could give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have selected individuals sync'd in FamilySearch. When I upload the Glaentzers that will be my largest collection of related people. Eventually I will make sure my direct line + siblings is sync'd but for now I am limiting myself. The reason I am uploading what I have on the Glaentzer is because this is a pretty rare surname. Myself and the other researcher want to get the information out there.

      What we did for the local Genealogy Roadshow is we had people submit applications with a research question along with any background information and prior research done. Myself and another researcher did some preliminary research on all of the cases just to see what all we had. We then did in depth research on the cases we selected. We will be presenting the cases in October.

      Delete